Step Up, Speak Out!: Dementia & Young Caregivers
Come join interactive panel discussions as we kickstart conversations around dementia and the impact younger caregivers face!
Step Up, Speak Out! is an outreach event for the younger community (ages 39 and below) that aims to kickstart conversations around dementia, the impact younger caregivers face and how one can balance the journey while at work or in school.
Part of Step Up, Speak Out!’s goal is to also help uncover younger caregivers who are looking for a space of identification.
WHY YOUNG CAREGIVERS ?
Young caregivers are often left to deal with the stigma that the illness carries. They feel isolated because their peers do not understand what they are going through and they carry the guilt when they have to choose between growing up and find their ‘self’ vs. having to shoulder the responsibilities of caring for their loved one.
They are just starting their own lives, juggling work, school and social lives, when they are faced with the task of having to take care for a loved one with dementia. It is important that we as a community understand the experience of these young people and offer support services that are catered for their age group.
THIS EVENT IS FOR ANYONE WHO:
- Have questions about dementia and interested in finding out what the impact is on younger caregivers?
- Want to know how to support younger caregivers at work or in school - How can employers/teachers help support younger caregivers within organisations/schools better ?
- Want to find a space of identification among other young caregivers. Are you a young caregiver ? Hear tips on wellbeing and how you can balance the responsibilities with work/school.
> 10.15am - The Icebreaker & Welcome
> 10.30am - What's Dementia & How Does it Impact Younger Caregivers?
> 10.50am - Step up: Caregivers Panel / The Sharing of Experiences from Younger Caregivers
> 11.20am - Mix & Mingle + Brunch Bites
> 11.40am - Speak Out: Experts Panel / The art of balance for caregivers and how the wider community at work or in school can help support
> 12.15pm - Mix & Mingle + End
/Current caregiver to his mum with dementia
/Current caregiver to her dad with young-onset Alzheimer's
/Previously a young caregiver to her dad with young-onset Alzheimer's
Manmohan Singh Director of Family & Caregiver Services, AWWA
Gabrielle Lee Senior Organisation Development Consultant, PACE O.D. Consulting
** Please note that photos taken at events will be used for Project We Forgot's publicity & marketing materials.
- The event description was updated. Diff#231452 2017-03-09 03:30:06
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM SGT
Standard (Food & Drinks) SOLD OUT $14.00
- Venue Address
- 128 Prinsep Street, #01-01 Singapore 188655 Singapore
Opposite LaSalle School of the Arts
Project We Forgot426 Followers